2 August 2008
Entry 15
Page 65
I know this is the same page as the last entry, but this reflection is on the blip about bride price on that page. Today people just marry and then they are on their own. It used to be that the woman had a dowry that goes to the man's family. In Umufoia the man's family pays a bride price which I found interesting because it is more like buying a wife than marring one. Ii is more about tradition, money, and family than it is about love for these people. I guess that it doesn't matter though because if the men in Umuofia don't like their wife, then can still keep them around to make children with, and on top of that, they can just get another, younger, wife. However it isn't like some of the kings and other men in the midevil times when they had like ten wives. Having ten wives just makes you a pimp or something.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment