Thursday, September 11, 2008

Theme Questions on Julius Caesar

1. The qualities of a good leader is one of the play's important themes. To explore this theme, students can do one or more of the following:• Discuss the qualities possessed by a good leader. Generate a list of these qualities
• Make a list of the leadership qualities that the class feels are legitimate. Compare and contrast the two lists and compile one list of leadership qualities that the class feels a good leader should have. Prioritize the list.• Examine the effect a leader's domestic relationships, physical condition, and/or athletic ability may have on his or her leadership abilities.


My List:
Self confidence
Self dependence
Responsibility
Loyalty
Persuasiveness
Good orator
Experienced
Self control
Wise
Just
Native

Class list:
Persuasive
Responsible
Mental strength
Loyalty
Supports the common man
Serves others
Just
Trustworthy
Educated/Intelligent
Political understanding
Feared/Respected
Experienced
Charasmatic

In the beginning of man, tribes would select the biggest and strongest of their members to be their leader. Those people were uneducated; however, the idea of a big strong leader remains today. During Caesar’s time, those who supported him did not go by images as much as we do today because of the lack of political propaganda, but Caesar’s physical appearance could have had an effect on him. A strong or athletic person might be more confident and thus look like a better leader because of that, but otherwise, physical appearance and ability should not affect the way that a person can lead. That being said, physical appearance and ability diffidently sway several supporters of voters because they fail to see past their candidates physical shell.

2. Friendship is another major theme in the play. Explore this theme by answering the following questions:• How far would you go to stop a friend from harming your country?• How far would you go to obtain revenge on someone or some group who destroyed your best friend?• Is there anything for which you would betray a friend?• Which is more important to you, friendship or personal principles? Why?

I believe that the world is every man (or woman) for himself. However, I also highly value friendship and family unity. Therefore, I would do almost anything to stop a friend from harming my country if I was 100% sure that he or she was really a threat. If I found out that they were not a threat after I had done something, I could not live with myself.

I also have the same idea for taking revenge on my friend’s conspirators. I have to be sure that the people that kill my friend had a bad reason for it. If they destroyed my friend because he or she was a major threat, I would try to accept that my friend’s death was justified. I do not want to come across as bad person because I would still hesitate to stop my friend and I would still morn and be sad about the death of my friend.

There is very little that I would do to betray a friend. As we discussed in class, the most probable thing to come between a friend and me is another friend. This could be a girlfriend or just another friend that is stealing attention. As much as I hate to say, people are what tick off other people, and unfortunately, I believe that the only thing for which I would betray a friend is over another person.

Personal principles are more important to me because, as I said earlier, it is every man for himself. I cannot have other people holding me back. If a friend got in the way of my principles, I would ask that person to respect my opinion, effectively persuade me to accept another opinion, or get out of my face.

3. One of the most sensitive issues in the play is suicide. Research attitudes toward suicide held by the following cultures: ancient Roman, modern Japanese, and modern American. Compare and contrast these attitudes in class presentations or in written essays.

Tomorrow (Friday) I am going to talk to you (Mrs. Bosch) about this question to fully understand what it is that we have to do. I will then post my answer tomorrow before the 12 o clock deadline.

4. The role of fate and superstition is another theme.• To what extent can we control the future?• How superstitious are you? Do you have any good luck rituals that you perform before important occasions?• Do you watch for omens before important events?• Do you read your horoscope every day, and do you follow its advice?

We can control our future fully. We as people come gifted with free will and can always chose what to do. If someone chooses not to decide, they still have made a choice. This means that someone can either go with the flow or try to do things the way they want. Obviously, I do not believe in anything like predestination. We come into this world to lead our own way in it. If someone told me that you could not control your future if you are in control by someone, I would say that the choices present are to rebel or to be controlled. Therefore, the future is not set and is in the control of the people living in the present time.

I pray. Saying a short Our Father or blessing myself helps me tremendously because it makes me feel like God is watching over me. Obviously, I am a Catholic. I do this for my own safety. I believe that luck should not exist (however, I like the luxury of hoping for it and blaming it) because it is our decisions that give us the mathematical chances for things to manifest. I am not very superstitious, but I do believe in karma, which goes hand in hand with the notion of “What goes around comes around.” I do not like to say things that will come back and bite me because I am always afraid that they will.

I do not believe in omens, and I think that horoscopes are completely illegitimate and a waste of time for everyone.

No comments: