21 July 2008
Entry 9
Page 38
This is when Okonkwo gets mad at his second wife for cutting off a couple of leaves from a banana tree. He shoots at her with his gun after beating her. I like Okonkwo but only because he had to rise up against all odd to succeed in his clan after the footsteps that his father had left behind. But I don't see what all the beating and violence in necessary for. I understand that he is supposed to be a warrior and that by turning away and compramising is weak in his culture, but unessesary beating of wives does not prove manliness to me. Another thing that I don't get is why he got really mad. It said that a storm broke out in him, but what lead up to the straw that broke the camels back. I think that he just has a bad temper. But I was also surprise that the men of this clan do not hunt. They grow food for themselves and rely on domesticated animals. I would have expected to opposite. That the women would grow food and the men did the hard work of hunting and bringing home dinner.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment